Friday, July 11, 2008

It's Gone!!

My hair, that is. Today I cut my hair to donate it to Locks of Love. My hair was approximately chin-length until I found out that I was pregnant with Sophia. Worried about days going by without a shower after she was born, and wanting the option of a ponytail, I started letting my hair grow. I was successful in my attempt, as my hair was long enough for a ponytail by the time Sophia entered the world in January 2006.

before



I continued to let my hair grow, not sure if I wanted it long or short. I continued on this way for a few months until I decided that it probably wouldn't take too much longer to grow it long enough to donate. And now, two years later, it was finally long enough.


So, today I had it cut off to be made into a wig. Sometime soon, a child I will never meet, will receive my hair (after being made into a wig) to make up for the hair they lost due to a childhood illness. That is what kept me going, when I was sick of long hair, tired of it getting caught under my computer bag strap or in the car door (ouch), or annoyed with how long it took to blow-dry (I finally gave that up recently).

the ponytail
the cut

Poor Ernie, he already misses my long hair. But soon enough I will start growing it out again, and he will get to enjoy my long hair until it is long enough to donate, probably in three years.

after

Big thanks to Amy Jacobs at Argyle Salon for a great cut! It was a dramatic change, but she definitely made it easy on me. She gave me a no-maintenance hairstyle since she knows that I am hairstyling-challenged!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are my hero Quinn! What a sacrifice, but an AMAZING gift for someone. Woo-hooo!

bird feet said...

I think your new haircut is very stylish. Good job!

Diahan said...

For cute!! I donated hair once...I really liked doing that. Perhaps that will now be my goal. Thank you for giving me some direction.
Oh, and you look fabulous!