Per our doctor's suggestion, we asked the OptionCare nurse to visit again the following week, to make sure that Kaitlyn regained to her birth weight by the two-week mark. At that visit Kaitlyn weighed 6lbs 12oz. She had lost weight? How was that possible? We took her back to the doctor's office the next day and she weighed 6lbs 14.5 oz. It appeared that she had gained just 1/2 ounce in one week. Now what?
Obviously my milk supply was not enough to meet Katy's needs. So we started supplementing with formula, and I started pumping after feedings. Then one evening Kaitlyn decided that she was no longer interested in nursing. Not wanting her to starve, we gave her a bottle of just formula. I started pumping exclusively.
Ernie was very supportive of the decision - actually, it was his suggestion! Not only does Ernie get a happier wife, but Sophia and Kaitlyn get a happier mom. And I am able to enjoy spending time with the girls now! Before, I barely got to see Sophia. Now we spend the morning together while Ernie sleeps. And it should be much easier to get out of the house now. We are looking forward to some fun family outings in the near future.
The best part about stopping breastfeeding? I got to sleep for 8 hours last night! Woo hoo! Since I am no longer needed at each feeding, Ernie takes the late shift since he's a night owl anyway. Ernie fed Kaitlyn at 10pm and 1am. And then the angel slept until 7am! I was asleep last night by 10pm, and Sophia woke me up at 6:30 this morning! Life is good!
3 comments:
Woo-hoo for 8 hours of sleep, a rarity for parents of children of ANY age in my opinion. Either they're up and we can't sleep, or we're up and we can't sleep, don't you think? Glad to hear all is going well, and that pictury of Kaityn in the little dress is too adorable.
Glad you guys got it all figured out! It's amazing how hard feeding can be. I remember thinking in one of my classes, what could be the big deal? But, oh was I wrong!! And, the 2nd one is probably that much tougher because you have a toddler too! When we have another, I will give it a try too like you did, but who knows what will happen!
Suzanne
I love these pictures - please e-mail them to me. I'm glad you got some sleep. You really looked like you needed it when I left last Sunday.
Post a Comment