Friday, July 17, 2009

What a Day!

Wow did we have a day! Ernie's car needed service and a repair, so after he dropped it off at the shop, Sophia, Kaitlyn and I picked him up for a day out and about. We decided to go to a park to play and have a picnic lunch. Not only are picnics fun, but Ernie has recently started the South Beach Diet, which means his dining out options are limited. We also didn't want to spend the extra money for a meal out. We decided to go to Boulevard Park, which is on Bellingham Bay. It is a beautiful park, and we don't often venture that far south, so it was a nice treat. We had our picnic, and then Sophia played on the toys for quite awhile. We met some new friends (Ellen & Arthur and their mom Christine) that we spent some time with. Sophia hit it off well with the kids, and we enjoyed visiting with the mom.

When the other family headed home, we headed out on the boardwalk to Taylor Dock. A popular place for crabbing, we watched a few people pull in their pots and check for crabs. We were lucky to find one person who caught three (only two were big enough to keep) so Sophia got to see how it all worked. We also saw some teenagers jumping off the dock into the water to swim. Ernie offered to throw Sophia over the side so she could swim, but she declined since she didn't have her swimsuit. The best part of our walk from the park to the dock was Sophia noticing the large rock and saying it looked like poop. She was convinced that a large animal had pooped in the water.

The car still wasn't ready, so we headed to the mall to enjoy some air conditioning and to shop at Target. We also checked out stoves at Sears (we need to replace ours since the top is broken in one corner). Then while Kaitlyn ate, Sophia got to enjoy some time at the "vegetable toys". (They are climbing toys in the middle of the mall that are shaped like fruits and vegetables.) The best part of our trip to the mall was when Sophia decided to be brave and actually went potty in the Target restroom! I bribed her with ice cream, but she did it! Woo hoo! One step closer to complete potty training!

One of these days I will remember, when putting sunscreen on Sophia, to put it on myself as well. Sometimes I remember to put it on, but not completely - I usually miss a spot or two. I ended up with quite a burn - ouch! I wish I had thought to take the camera since it was a beautiful day and we were in a beautiful location. I am so grateful that we had our Sit-N-Stand stroller - I'm not sure how Sophia would have fared if she had been required to walk as much as Ernie and I did. I left the house at 11am, and didn't get home until 5pm. It was a long day, but so fun. We had a great time together as a family.

No comments: