Wednesday, December 17, 2008

SNOW!!!

After watching the weather reports for the last few days, we were prepared for a significant amount of snow this morning. I woke up to use the bathroom at 2:30 this morning (a pregnancy side-effect I could do without) and there was no hint of snow. At 5:30am, we were awoken by Ernie's cell phone - it was his principal calling to say that his school was canceled for today. (I have never seen Ernie so excited to answer the phone. When it rang, he said enthusiastically, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" Luckily he was able to compose himself before actually answering.)

So I immediately went to the front window to check the damage and was surprised to see barely a dusting of snow. I mean for pete's sake, I could still see pavement below the snow. Where was this 4-7 inches they were predicting?

I went to work as normal, since the roads between here and there were fine. Big thanks to my friend Michel for driving - I would have been a nervous wreck to drive myself! In fact, they improved as we got closer. And then that 4-7 inches started to fall. We had a luncheon scheduled that day at work, but as soon as it was over we high-tailed it out of there. I am very fortunate to have a job that is portable. I set up shop in the office with my laptop and worked from home so that I wouldn't have to use my vacation leave.

But with Ernie home I took a short break and we took Sophia out to play in the snow. We didn't last long on account of the wind, but it was still fun. She was disappointed that the snow was not good for snowman building, but she was able to make a snow angel.

While it is hard to say how much snow we have outside, due to drifting, it looks like four inches. And while some might think the snow is beautiful, I would rather look at it on TV on someone else's lawn, ruining someone else's roads. I prefer to have clear, safe roads and be able to go wherever, whenever I please.

1 comment:

Diahan said...

I am way impressed that Sophia has snow gear! We never did as kids. On these rare snow occasions we were lucky to find two matching gloves in the house.
She looks so cute- I love the fur-lined hat.