The first order of business was to find the tree. We had to walk quite a way back to find a tree - the front of the farm was pretty picked over! We found a tree that is about 7 feet tall (we have vaulted ceilings - we can't have a little tree!) and has a long trunk, which leaves plenty of room for the stand and PRESENTS!
The second order of business was to cut the tree down. This job was all Ernie's! We asked Sophia if she wanted to help, but she said it was too hard for her. Can't argue there!
Then, we had to get the tree strapped to the top of the car and get it home safely. This part is the most difficult for us. Every year when we get our tree I regret our decision not to get the roof rack on our CRV. It would make Christmas tree transportation so much easier. Instead, we run the string through the interior of the car and hope for the best. Luckily, we don't have too far to drive to get home!
When we got home, Ernie and I put the tree up in the stand while Sophia was napping. But we waited for her to wake up before decorating. (In our house Ernie and I compromise about the tree decorating. He gets to watch football while we decorate. If I insisted on Christmas music as I would prefer, he would not help. Thus, the compromise.) Sophia was so excited to see the lights on the tree - she even helped put them on.
Then she helped with two ornaments before she found the train ornament. Then all she wanted to do was play with the train while Ernie and I put the rest of the ornaments on. We finally got her help with a few more (I had to use my stern "Mom" voice) and got a few funny placements: a penguin on a branch, with the train hanging from the penguin, and Santa Goofy pulling the tree branch down about a foot. Priceless!
1 comment:
Hey Quinn! I think I saw you driving this morning as I was heading into the Bellingham office... If you saw a crazy lady waving at you, it was me!
Post a Comment