Friday, December 19, 2008

Potty Training

Potty training has officially begun, as of today. We planned to work on potty training during Ernie's winter break, since he would be home for two straight weeks to make sure Sophia sat on the potty every hour during the day. Well, since his school was canceled for today, we decided to start one day early.

We have been talking about it for months. Sophia has a few books on the subject, she helped pick out big girl underwear, etc. We have a few rewards for her which we've also been talking about. Her rewards include a Dibs ice cream nugget and a sticker on her sticker chart for going potty, and two of each for going poop, in the toilet. Then, when she is officially potty trained she will get to move into her big girl bed, which is currently in the garage.

Today we had three wet accidents (big girl underwear covered by pull ups so she would feel it but not make a huge mess) and we were a bit discouraged. Then tonight at dinner she indicated that she had some gas. We told her maybe that means she needs to go poop and she should sit on the potty. I filled the tub, as it is bath night, while she sat on the pot. She did not want to get up to get into the bath, but insisted she was not done yet. I finally traded with Ernie (I couldn't sit on the bathroom floor any longer) and he eventually got her into the bath. When I came in to wash her hair I noticed it, but barely - poop in the toilet! We were so excited! Sophia declared that she is no longer afraid of the toilet, and even flushed it! After her bath we got her the promised rewards of ice cream dibs and stickers. Here's hoping for more success tomorrow!

1 comment:

The Gresham Clan said...

Hooray - fun to find your blog!!! Glad you had fun wrapping :)! Potty Training is great and so hard too! I remember the many accidents (x2) :)! Have fun and good luck to you both :)!!