Sunday, September 7, 2008

Big Girl Underwear

Notice the post is not entitled "Potty Training". We have been talking with Sophia about potty training for about a year now. It started when she first showed interest in the toilet - what it is, what it is for, etc. We bought a potty seat (our bathroom is too small for a separate potty chair) and encouraged her to sit on it and try it out. We were so excited when she used it for its intended purpose a few times at the beginning. We thought, "Wow, this is much easier than we expected." WRONG! After those first few tries, she didn't want anything to do with the potty for quite a while.

We often ask Sophia if she wants to sit on the potty. Sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't. She gets an M&M each time she sits on it. She has been told that she will get a Dreyers Dibs whenever she actually goes potty on it. But we don't push. There really is no sense in pushing the subject. I learned when I worked at the daycare in college that kids feel control over two things: inputs and outputs. I know that pushing potty training is a losing battle.

Fast-forward to Friday evening. She started asking about Big Girl Underwear. I'm not sure why. Maybe because she had seen the episode of Jon & Kate Plus 8 where the sextuplet girls potty train a few times recently. She talked about it all evening, saying she wanted to wear Big Girl Underwear. So, that night I washed her Big Girl Underwear.

We started Saturday morning with Curious George undies and hoped for the best. They didn't last long before they were seriously messed. We tried again with Disney Princess undies, this time with absorbent plastic pants over them. Sophia ended up soaked from head to toe. At this point I was out running errands and Ernie wasn't in the mood for any more messes without my help, so he put her in a diaper. She has not asked about Big Girl Underwear since. I just hope she wants to try the Big Girl Underwear again before she grows out of them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I started reading this I really hoped that the end would be that she had successfully completed potty training in a weekend. I was excited to get to the end of the blog entry because I thought she had decided it was time and I know this is a very determined girl. Well - maybe next weekend!

Diahan said...

I HATE POTTY TRAINING!!! Hands down, the worst part of parenting.

If you want my advice (well, here it is anyway) relish every diaper, bask it its ingenious design. Love the freedom of being anywhere you want, regardless of weather or not there is a restroom near by.