Thursday, October 2, 2008

Family Game Night

Ernie’s family had a tradition of family game night. They would choose a Friday night to play games together. Usually, there was junk food involved, and staying up late. And usually both he and his sister each got to choose a game to play. That tradition continues even though Ernie and his sister are both adults. Whenever we visit Ernie’s parents (or they visit us) there is usually one evening set aside for games. When Ernie and I were first dating and I found out about game night, I was excited, since my family liked to play games together. Some of my best memories with my extended family center around playing games at family gatherings.

Well, we had our first family game night recently. Sophia noticed her Memory game on the shelf in her closet and asked about it. She received it as a birthday gift, but was too young to play it, so in the closet it has sat for eight months. When I told her it was a game, she got very excited and asked if she could play. So, we gave it a try.

We decided to make it easy on ourselves and only used 16 of the cards. Sophia did pretty well the first round, when the matches were all next to each other and she got a lot of help. The second round the cards were mixed up more, and she started to lose patience. But we still had fun. And she’s still talking about it!

And I am proud of us for continuing a wonderful family tradition.

No comments: