Friday, May 22, 2009

Real or Fake?

That is the question that was asked last night at St Joe's in Bellingham. The doctors just weren't sure if the contractions I was feeling indicated real labor, and therefore an early c-section, or fake labor. I spent 13 hours there being observed, and they concluded that it was fake labor and I should just go home. Argh!

Last night I started feeling contractions that were more painful than others I have felt before. And they kept coming. After timing them and noticing that they were 3-4 minutes apart for an hour, I called the doctor on call. She gave me the choice of going to the hospital to be checked out, or waiting for a little while longer at home. I chose to hang out at home until 11pm, and then decided they just weren't interested in going away, so best to be checked out.

My mom came over to stay with Sophia so we could go in. Since I'm at 37 weeks, they really didn't want to do a c-section unless it was absolutely necessary. The baby could use a little more time to cook, gain weight, and develop her lungs. They finally decided to admit me for observation. They observed me until noonish today and decided to send me home. The contractions were no longer regular, and I wasn't dilating. So I go back to regular life to wait and see if anything else happens. Oh how I hate the not knowing! I've never been through labor before, so I feel very much like a fish out of water, not knowing what to look for, not wanting to go through the same kind of observation for nothing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Quinn, that so stinks! Good to keep her in the cooker, but too bad that we can't be like a store bought turkey... when plug pops out we know we're done! Hang in there!