Our computer crashed on Friday night. In his attempt to fix the problem, Ernie accidentally re-formatted the hard drive, which wiped out everything we had stored on it. And I mean EVERYTHING! All of our pictures, documents, music…everything.
And here’s the kicker – we have an external hard drive! We bought it around Christmas but had yet to put it to use. Ernie had planned to copy everything to it that weekend, since it was a three-day weekend and we had few plans. He thought it would be a perfect opportunity to get the job done.
Well, I guess it turned out that it was a quick job, since we were only able to recover a few things from a backup disk from February 2007. We are glad to have some pictures back, and are hopeful that Ernie’s parents still have the disk we gave them recently with all of our pictures on it. And we are grateful that one of the folders that Ernie copied to the external hard drive before the crash (to make sure it worked) included all of our home video clips. We have a few things to re-create, but we’ll be okay.
To be completely honest though, while it may sound that I have a good attitude about the situation, it took many tears to get to this point. I was devastated about some of the files we had lost. The one I was most concerned about luckily was on the backup disk – whew! I think Ernie and I both went through all stages of grief over the weekend and came away with a great lesson learned.
I guess the good news is that we are now backed up to our external hard drive. I am really glad that we have a 1 terabyte (that’s 1,000 gigs) external hard drive to hold our eight folders! ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment