Sunday, November 23, 2008

Computer Whiz

Sophia LOVES the computer. What kid doesn’t? She gets especially excited when she gets to play a game on the computer. She recently started “getting” the mouse, and has been able to move it with purpose. Ernie found a game on the Sesame Street website, Peekaboo, that Sophia can play all by herself. In the game, the characters hide and when a key is pressed (any number or letter) they pop out and say “Peekaboo!” Sophia was so proud of herself that she was able to play the game without any help!

Well, then I decided to try teaching her how to push the mouse buttons. She has another favorite game on the PBSKids website, Everything Must Go, where Curious George sorts items into three bins. For a while she has been able to move the mouse to indicate the correct bin, and then I push the button for her. Well the other day I showed her how to hold the mouse in place with one hand and push the button with the other. When it worked, she beamed from ear to ear.

Of course now Ernie and I are concerned that we have created a monster of sorts. We’re afraid that she’ll be outsmarting us in computer skills in no time. And we’ll turn into those parents who have no idea what MySpace is or what their kids are posting on it.

No comments: