Thursday, February 19, 2009

Red Means Stop!

We have been talking with Sophia about what the colors on a stoplight mean. Why? Because she gets impatient when we're stopped at a red light, and asks why we're stopped, when are we going again, etc. So we have been discussing that red means stop, green means go, and yellow means be careful (or my mom's version - yellow means go very fast).

She has gotten it, and it has helped her to understand a bit more about what's going on while we're driving. She gets excited when she sees a stoplight, tells me what color it is, and what that color means.

The only problem, which I did not predict, is explaining a free right on red. She has become a little traffic cop in the backseat (I didn't know backseat driving started this young) and gets very upset if I go when the light is red. I have tried to explain that it's okay for mommy to go when the light is red, but only sometimes, and only if it is safe. I'm just waiting for the day I get pulled over and she rats me out for going when the light was red!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, yellow means go very very fast is from the movie Starman...it's not my personal motto or my practice.